Cascade Ski Club & Lodge
Home About the Club Members Committee Photo Gallery Contact Us
Email:

Password:

Remember me


Mission Statement

Dedication to upholding a tradition of supporting affordable and accessible year-round mountain experiences centered around our lodge in the spirit of fun and friendship for families, youths, and all mountain enthusiasts.

1920s - 1940s: Prestige in Skiing (Page 1)


Cascade Ski Club History: 1920s - 1940s 'Prestige in Skiing'

One might say that the father of Cascade Ski Club was Ole Haugen, who secured first rights for the Multorpor jump hill in 1928 and developed it with his two brothers, Lars and Seibert. The nucleus of the organization came from a split in the ranks of Mount Hood Ski club. Both were basically composed of men born in Norway, skilled at jumping and cross-country racing. At some time in 1928 a number of the men of MHSC decided to defect, and the Cascade Ski Club was born. The first officers were:

The father of Cascade Ski Club was Ole Haugen

Reider Hafstad
Kaare Schafstad
Ole Haugen

President
Vice-President
Secretary

First jumping tournament was held at Multorpor on January 6, 1929

Their first jumping tournament was held at Multorpor on January 6, 1929. By the end of the month, they had affiliated with the National Ski Association through a membership in the Western Amateur Ski Association. This gave the club immediate sanction in holding first-magnitude tournaments at Government Camp.
Most of the local competition came from Mount Hood Ski Club and Vikings Sports Club, which soon folded up. Meets were also exchanged with the men on the north side, Hood River Ski Club, and Guide Ski Club, on the jump hill located at the site on the present-day Cooper Spur Ski Area. Big competition was from Seattle and the Hollyburn Ski Club of Vancouver, British Columbia. The north winds were crawling with Norwegian jumpers ready to compete with the Oregonians. Tournaments often used a combined score of competition in both cross-country and jumping, much like the Olympic Nordic combined event.

The north winds were crawling with Norwegian jumpers

When the Battle Axe Inn raised the rent Cascaders moved out!

Cascade Ski Club maintained an area on the upper floor of the Battle Axe recreational building. They rented from Everett Sickler, but that arrangement lasted only about a year. When Henry Villiger bought Battle Axe Inn, he raised the rent, and Cascaders moved out. The officers for the second year were:

Harald Lee
Hjalmar Hvam
Feider Hafstad
Norman Bruck

President
Vice-President
Secretary
Treasurer

There was a great deal of unity in the ski community of those days. Mazamas such as Judge Fred Stadter and Fred McNeil were also members of Cascade, All the old skiers knew each other. At Christmas of 1929, 1,100 winter sports fans crowded Summit, Swim, and Government camp for a December 23 holiday celebration. S.W. Lawrence in a Santa Clause suit was helped by L.W. Hawn to pass out candy and gifts at the party at the Government Camp Hotel. The music was provided by the United Artisan Drum and Bugle Corps. Down at Swim, Boyd Summers threw another Christmas party for is patrons. Hjalmar Hvam won the standing ski jump event with a leap of 84 feet. Kaare Schafstad came in with 74 feet and Ole Lagerud 68 feet

Cascade's Hjalmar Hvam won the standing ski jump event with a leap of 84 feet

Cascade Ski Club was one of the six original member clubs of PNSA

When PNSA was formed in November 23 1930, Cascade Ski Club was one of the six original member clubs and without a doubt the group most influential in founding the association. The secretary of Cascade, Fred McNeil, became the president of PNSA, and the club held on February 1, 1931.
In 1931, the club had two large projects going One was the shaping of the jumping hill at Multorpor. In October, they borrowed $1,000 and rented a huge gasoline yarder to move dirt. New standing and buildings were erected, and when they were finished, Multorpor had jumps and A, B, C, and D competition.

Cascade builds jumps on Multorpor Hill

Next Page

By Jack Garasier, Mt. Hood, A Complete History


25 Jun 2017 23:51