Mission Statement Dedication to upholding a tradition of supporting affordable and accessible year-round mountain experiences centered around our lodge in the spirit of fun and friendship for families, youths, and all mountain enthusiasts.
DB Version: 2017.01.00
Code Version: 2017.01.00
1947 - 1959: Building a Grand Lodge
Cascade Ski Club History: 1947 - 1959 Building a Grand Lodge
was just a name, an insignificant one at that in ancient times, (circa 1947) when members
wearied of renting space at Battle-ax Inn and decided to build a Lodge. Prior to this
historic decision they brought three portable schools from the Portland school
and situated them across the road and down by the creek from the present property, near
where Multorpor Lodge stands today. The property was purchased from Judge Latourette who
later deeded to Cascade the Multorpor jumping hill property, part of an original land
grant to the Latourette family. Cascade members built the jumping hill on
Multorpor. Today you can ski this run known as 'Cascade'.
Cascade members built the
jumping hill on Multorpor... Today
you can ski this run known as 'Cascade'.
At one of these gatherings the present clubhouse was born
|Club meetings were held in Fred
McNeil’s office in the Oregon Journal building or in Judge Statler’s courtroom.
The judge being an early skier, and it was probably at one of these gatherings that the
present clubhouse was born.
| I order to amortize the cost of the amenity $10,000.- worth of first
mortgage certificates (at 4%) were sold to members and other skiers. Income for clubhouse
fees made the payments. High rollers in this enterprise were A.M. Cronin Jr., Jack
Meir, Berger Underdahl, Roy K. Terry, B. W. Farle, John Mulkey and Walter Gadsby Jr.. Some of
the "angels" were H. J. Sandberg, Waldo Buckler, Albert
Bullier, Vern Caldwell,
Everett Darr, and Chris Maletis whose gifts created a substantial fund.
$10,000.- worth of first mortgage
certificates were sold to members
The new building has a large living room for parties
| In 1947, a large new club lodge was
built on the north side of he highway, behind Mountain view Inn and Hjalmar Hvam’s
ski shop. (this is were the lodge stand today.) The new building has a large living room
for parties or dances, a dining room, drying room, waxing room, lockers, and larger dormitories
The exterior was designed in the massive (Cascade) style, very appropriate for the
mountain setting. The old clubhouse on the south side of the highway was torn down and the
remnants razed. When Mountain View burned in 1955, a very large open area was created,
which gives the Cascade Lodge an impressive open Snowfield in front of the building.
|In the last decades the charter of Cascade Ski Club was changed somewhat towards being a
group with appeal to families, as the wave of World War Two veterans change
from swashbuckling youth to senior member of the ski community.
A group with appeal to families
Patricia Bowles, President, 1976 - 1977
Cascade Ski Club's Racing Annual 1976 - 77; page 9.